In the Lightbox: Terrarium Prototype!

Posted by CWade in Uncategorized | Tagged | 8 Comments

This idea has been marinating in my head for some time, so the week before last I finally set out to make it! (After storing sundry supplies at Traveling Painter‘s apartment for > a month) (I now have my own craft box over there..haha))

Here’s a shot with the lid on, seen from the back:

The stones are real, but the other substrates & textures are various decorative/faux plants I’ve found. The creatures are made out of polymer- and very tiny!

Since I’ve already given this prototype as a gift, and forgot to get a scale image, you’ll just have to trust me on the tininess! The little fawn is slightly smaller than a US quarter, and the rabbit is 3/4 the size of a US dime. You can imagine I was quite relieved to get them in the oven. Never really made anything that miniscule before!

the bunny: took ~1 hr to make

the fawn: took ~2.5 hours to make

Had to do the “aerial” shot outside, since my lightbox is too small to get the angle

The terrarium landscape itself took around 3 hours to put together.

I think the idea would be to create different ecosystems featuring different animals. This would be part of a ‘woodland’ series I suppose. Nerdy- I know!

What do you think? Could these sell on Etsy? They are quite a lot of work, but pleasing to make.

I’d have to figure out whether shipping could be cost-effective; the rocks are real, so they do have some nice weight to them. Everything is glued down & secure, but I’m still not sure they’d survive being turned over more than a couple times.

Thoughts???

8 Responses to In the Lightbox: Terrarium Prototype!

1. gretchenmist says:

wow ~ they are great. how bout selling photos of them?? not the same as the real thing i know but the photos are cool :)

2. CIOPhoto says:

I agree with Gretchen, this is great! I'd buy one. You could certainly sell them on Esty but finding a safe way to pack them for shipping would be the trick. May be you could sell them as a kit. Wrap the individual parts and send photos along on how its supposed to look when assembled.

3. Julie Magers Soulen says:

Really cute!! I'd definitely put some in your shop!

Cheers!
    Julie
    Julie Magers Soulen Photography

4. Victoria Bennett Beyer says:

I love it! Since they take so much time to make, I think you'd have to see if your pricing could be competitive with other terrariums on Etsy (it's gotta be worth your time) but the little animals certainly give your terrariums a uniqueness.

5. JooJoo says:

It looks wonderful! I love you little creatures! And I know and making these things takes a LOT of time, but it's so fun at the same time :)

I think you need to sell just the animals, because people usually have their own terrariums :) This way you don't need to worry about shipping, because insurance for the damaged parcels is not usually covering items that contain glass, at least in Canada it's like this.

6. Ilan says:

This is stunning! What a great idea :)
    I can totally imagine one of these in my room.
    Glad to find your blog, thanks again for following on Twitter :)

7. The Fern and Mossery says:

Fantastic photos. I posted about your photography on my blog- I hope you don't mind.

8. tsegal says:

Hi- I came across your site as I was searching for an answer to my reflection problems while photographing my terrariums- I love what you are doing and it is funny that we seem to be the only two people out there making polymer clay figurines for our terrariums- I would love to discuss glazes with you! My site is http://www.thyrza.ca and my email is thyrza@gmail.com. I love your photography btw and hope to get half as nice product photos!