My curiosity about real ( >1:1 ) macro photography has been slowly peaking, of late. I don’t own any type of macro lens, but when I recently got the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, I realized I could reverse it in front of a zoom lens to achieve macro magnification levels.
I was not even hoping to obtain results like these or these (These guys have dedicated light setups and focusing rails, as well as real macro lenses!) but I’m pleased with what I’ve been able to do so far.
I’m going to do a Part 2 post about how exactly I’m shooting these photos, maybe tomorrow or Sunday, for those of you who are curious.
For now- photos!
The vignette in the first part of the triptych is a result of using the 70-300mm at the shortest, 70mm, focal length with the inverted 50mm on top. I have to zoom to at least 200mm to be rid of it. It does have that “I’m looking through a microscope” effect, though.
Also, I made this handy GIF to show why it takes so long to process these macro photos. I admit, it’s an issue I failed to anticipate!
There’s a ton of dirt there you don’t even notice due to the low resolution. When you zoom into the actual pixel level…I don’t even want to think about it. I’m probably too meticulous about removing it, too.
Also, the trusty rocket blower seems unable to put a dent in it, although it got the bigger chunks that were noticeable after white wall tests. I may have to get a wet-cleaning method if I want to keep experimenting with macro.
I also shot some broccoli, which was included in the first week of my 365 project, in this post.
I’m sorry, I know I’m a disgusting human, but it’s one bad habit I do allow myself to indulge in.
Emerson Street suggested that I do mystery macro posts, and have you guys guess what the item is. I like the idea- let me know if you guys would be interested!